Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Apprentice

The Apprentice

Just finished watching the first season of The Apprentice.


En, it's a nice show.


I watched a little of the last season of that when I was about to finish undergraduate study. And that time the show was strong recommended.


This time, again, the show was highly recommended. So I started to watch from the very beginning the night coming back from NYC.


Here in the show I can recognize many buildings that I'm familiar with -- kind of proud of myself~ And I've also been to the Trump Tower Wink


But what I benefit most are leadership, competition vs. cooperation, and maybe American dream.


When I become a leader in the future, I will try to grasp the opportunities to express myself. I should be confident to express my own ideas and to lead the others, not to follow others and listen to others' opinions all the time. For me, this is the most beneficial point that I've learned. As out of my character, I do not want to confront others directly, even when the other side is wrong. This is not the best way though. So, I should learn to say "no" to others.


Another point that I think beneficial is how to tackle the relationship with team-members. To beat the other team, they need cooperation. But at the same time, members in the same team have to compete each other to get the final opportunity. Therefore, the relationship becomes really subtle and complex, like Amy and Nick. Especially in the last episode, Katrina said that the relationship became smooth as they did not compete any more and they worked for the same goal. In fact, just watching the show, I cannot experience the tensity of competition, although somebody get fired each week. I'm still like an outsider. And each time I guess who would get fired, and I'm right most of the time. But I just think, the real competition is never easy, and I should learn how to tackle the relationships.


A third point is probably the American Dream. I've learned about that in undergraduate study for long. And I'm kind of longing for that. You start all by yourself, and you'll succeed in the future. I like the spirit in the American Dream. And one reason why I come here is probably to realize my American Dream. In the show, it also relates the American Dream several times. And Donald Trump advocates the dream specifically, I think. The American Dream is good, but I think what have shown in the series are too luxury and material. But what that really means, who knows?

No comments: